On Sunday I delivered a mental health & wellbeing workshop at RXBOX CrossFit Gym in Didsbury. I started the talk by creating a safe space, with a nonjudgmental & respectful atmosphere. I was genuinely blown away by how everyone opened up to the group.
I spoke about things I’ve learned from courses & workshops in Mental Health First Aid, Active Listener, Effective Mentoring Skills, Mindfulness & Emotional Resilience. I spoke about cuts to mental health services & all kinds of things we can do on a daily basis to help look after our wellbeing such as practicing gratitude, self-care & mindfulness.
I invited participants to talk about positive & negative connotations around mental health difficulties & the importance of destigmatisation, 5 things they are *truly* grateful for, & I asked people to talk about self-care & what they have done over the past week to really look after themselves. We also did the famous mindful eating of a raisin exercise.
I gave handouts with all kinds of wonderful resources such as TED Talks, further reading & a list of counselling & advice services in Manchester. I enjoyed every minute & I came away feeling very reflective, grateful & strong. Connction & community are so important when it comes to mental health & wellbeing. Here’s to more people working to destigmatise mental illness & mental health struggles, & more people feeling able to open up & ask for help when’s they need it.
Thank you everyone who came along & thank you Suze & Andy at RXBOX CrossFit Gym for this amazing opportunity.
Helpful Mental Wellbeing Resources:
Crisis and emotional support helplines and organisations…
They allow people to talk about feelings of distress and despair.
Confidential and non-judgemental support.
Phone: 116 123 (Freephone, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
Out of hours mental health and emotional support and information for anyone affected by mental ill health, including family, friends and carers.
Rethink Advice and Information Service:
Practical help and information on Issues such as the Mental Health Act, community care, benefits, debt, criminal justice and carer’s rights.
Finding a therapist…
The British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies:
Multi-disciplinary interest group for people involved in the practice and theory of behavioural and cognitive psychotherapy
Phone: 0161 705 4303
Free, confidential directory of trained, professional counsellors and therapists in the UK. You can check whether the counsellor found through this website is also registered with one of the professional/ accreditation bodies in the UK. Alternatively you can contact the relevant professional organisation directly once you have found a named professional to check details of their registration.
Therapy in Manchester for non-conformists — freelancers, artists, musicians, writers, performers, and those in non-conforming careers and lifestyles.
Individual counselling. Pay what you can (£10 minimum) Located in Manchester.
Free individual and couples counselling for LGBTQ+ people in the North West.
Counselling for individuals and couples in Stockport and the surrounding area. Free or payment by donation.
Talk Listen Change:
Counselling for adults, couples, children and young people. Based in Stockport, priced on sliding scale based on income.
Free impartial advice on benefits, debt and housing to people with mental health needs in Manchester,
- Practicing Self-Care Is Important: 10 Easy Habits To Get You Started – Noma Nazish
- CALMZONE – Campaign Against Living Miserably
- 20 Proven Ways to Quickly Lower Your Cortisol Levels – Jordan Falls https://www.optimallivingdynamics.com/blog/20-proven-ways-to-effectively-lower-your-stress-hormone-reduce-counteract-manage-cortisol-decrease-levels-for-brain-mental-health-anxiety-depression-cognitive-function-foods-nutrients-herbs-supplements-adaptogens-adrenals-naturally-tips
- 9 Ways To Promote Gratitude in Your Life – https://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/therese-borchard-sanity-break/ways-promote-gratitude-your-life/
- S.U.M.O. (Shut Up Move On): The Straight-Talking Guide to Creating and Enjoying a Brilliant Life, Paul McGee (2005)
- The FOMO Is Real: How Social Media Increases Depression and Loneliness
- How To Take a Social Media Vacation: The Complete Guide To A Social Media Detox
- Is Gratitude the Secret of Happiness? – The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/oct/23/is-gratitude-secret-of-happiness-i-spent-month-finding-out
- Nutritional Psychiatry: Can You Eat Yourself Happier? Amy Fleming https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/mar/18/can-you-eat-yourself-happier- nutritional-psychiatry-mental-health#img-1
Fantastic videos on Youtube:
- How Stress Affects Your Brain – Madhumita Murgia
- TED Talk: Cultivating Unconditional Self-Worth – Adia Gooden
- TED Talk: Sleep Is Your Superpower – Matt Walker
- TED Talk: The Power of Vulnerability – Brene Brown